- AVON GROVE CHARTER SCHOOL
- Student Awards and Achievements
Maggie Degler Named PA Leo of the Year
Maggie Degler (Class of 2020) was selected as the Pennsylvania State Lions and the Lions District 14P Leo of the Year for her outstanding leadership and commitment to community service.
At the start of her 8th grade year, Maggie's enthusiasm for community service led her to become a Founding Member and President of the first-ever AGCS Leo Cub. Since that time, she's held a leadership position annually.
Maggie has been an integral part of the success of our club, in giving back to our community and even all the way to Texas. She's been involved in almost every activity the Leo Club organized, including:
- Purchase and distribution of pretzel grams
- Donation coin drive for Canine Partners for Life, resulting in a $1000 donation
- Bringing in Canine Partners for Life to AGCS for information assemblies for grades 3-12 (over 900 students) to educate them about the importance of service dogs in the lives of others
- Collection of 679 non-perishable food donations for The Bridge in West Grove
- Collection of more than 700 books for the Avon Grove Lions Club Book Barn
- Facilitated T-shirt Design Contest and sale, with proceeds of $900 donated to Southern Chester County Family Promise of West Grove
- Organized a Random Acts of Kindness initiative that spread through the school, brightening staff members' days
- Organized our annual egg hunt and activity day for AGCS Kindergarten students
- Conducted Bingo Breakfasts for the residents of Luther House in Jennersville
But Maggie's positive impact was even greater with her instrumental coordination of two long-term fundraising projects that proved outstandingly successful: the school Lip-sync battle and a Diaper Drive for the victims of Hurricane Harvey in Houston, TX in the fall of 2017. Under Maggie's leadership, the school and our community collected over 20,000 pounds of diapers and supplies for victims. This major achievement by Maggie and her fellow club members made the local news.
We could not be prouder to have such an exceptional leader among our alumni! Maggie, we wish you continued, tremendous success as you head off to Johnson and Wales University–they're lucky to have you!!