Education for Children and Youth Experiencing Homelessness (ECYEH)

  • Families experiencing homelessnessChildren and youth are eligible for services under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act if they have been displaced from their homes and are living in a place that is not fixed, regular or adequate, such as:

    • Sharing the housing of others due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar reason
    • In a place not designated as regular sleeping accommodation, such as a vehicle, park, hotel, or campground
    • In a homeless or domestic violence shelter or transitional housing placement
    • Outside of his/her home as an unaccompanied youth
    • In any of the situations listed above as the child of a migrant family

    Children and Youth in Transition have the right to:

    • Stay in their school of origin; which is the school attended when last permanently housed or the school in which the student was last enrolled.
    • Enroll in any school which non-homeless students living in the attendance area are eligible to attend.
    • Enroll in a new school without immunization, proof of residential status, school records, proof of guardianship or other documents.
    • Receive services (including transportation, preschool, meals, special education) comparable to those provided to other students.
    • Have their enrollment disputes expeditiously addressed by the homeless district liaison and have the right to attend their school during the dispute resolution process.

    If you believe you are eligible, please contact Ms. Adrienne Basilio, AGCS Homeless Student Liaison at, to find out what services and supports may be available.

    Below are links to resources with further information and details.