Thank you for taking the time to visit the ELC School Counseling page. Our ELC guidance role is to support students and their families in the areas of social, emotional and academic growth. We do this in a variety of ways, including: small group counseling, individual counseling, classroom lessons and school-wide events.
Some of the topics we work with students on are…
- Developing and improving social skills
- How to handle emotions in healthy ways
- Coping skills for life changes (divorce, changes in friendships, loss of loved one, moving, etc.)
- Identifying career interests
- Building academic and study skills
- Overcoming challenges
One of the ways we help students learn new skills is through books. Below is a list of a few of our favorite books for K-3 students.
- Today I Feel Silly & Other Moods That Make My Day by Jamie Lee Curtis
- Enemy Pie by Derek Munson
- Don’t Be Afraid to Drop by Juila Cook
- One by Katheryn Otoshi
- Trouble Talk by Trudy Ludwig
- A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue by Juila Cook
- The Invisible Boy by Tudy Ludwig
- The Colors of Us by Karen Katz
Please remember that a school counselor is not a substitute for counseling outside of school and that we focus on ways to assist students in achieving their goals in the school setting. If you feel your child could benefit from outside counseling services, we are happy to give you resources to follow up with.