Post-Secondary Education Transition
In Pennsylvania, age 14 begins transition planning. There are three areas that we are required to address as part of student’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP); Post-Secondary Education, Employment and Independent Living. As your child moves throughout their Middle School and High School career, our goal is to provide instruction and opportunities for all students to become productive members of society. Parental involvement is critical to the success of transition. We encourage you to explore the Pennsylvania Secondary Transition Guide as well as the web resources to explore transition further.
Guiding Questions for Transition
Postsecondary Education & Training
- What postsecondary education/training options are available?
- What documentation is necessary in order to be eligible for disability related services?
- What types of accommodations are available from postsecondary education/training programs?
- What are the career goals?
- How will these goals be achieved?
- What supports and/or resources are needed to obtain vocational goals?
- Where does the student want to live as an adult?
- What kinds of supports will be needed for transportation, medical needs, daily living and leisure time activities?
- How will the student establish, maintain and increase social network?