The course selection process is an important part of your child’s high school experience. It is a process that should ideally involve input from both the student and parent(s). During the week of March 27th students in grades 8-11 will be completing the course selection process during their Social Studies class periods. Below you will find a summary of important information as students and parents gear up for the 2017-2018 course selection process.
Course Selection Guide
- Please click here for a copy of the High School Program of Studies.
- The High School Administration and Guidance Department will be hosting a Course Selection Overview Meeting at 6:00pm on Tuesday, February 28th in the State Road Auditorium. This meeting is suggested for parents of students in grades 8-11.
- It is highly recommended that students and parents review the 17-18 Program of Studies prior to the course selection window and have discussions about their future planning and academic goals.
- Please pay careful attention to the expectations and guidelines outlined in the beginning of the Program of Studies.
- When referencing the guide, you will notice that the course description gives information about the course content, prerequisites, eligibility, and credit values.
Avon Grove Charter School creates student placement recommendations based upon multiple sources of data that are designed to accurately determine the appropriate academic courses for each student to be challenged and academically successful. As a school, we believe that our placement process results in recommendations that provide students with a developmentally appropriate educational plan.
Specific course prerequisites will not be waived when considering course placement for students. However, if a student has been recommended for a specific course, but meets the prerequisites for a different course level, AGCS parents may contact the Guidance Department and request a course level change.
- From March 6th-17th, teachers will be meeting with students and completing course recommendations within PowerSchool.
- On March 22nd, students and parents will be able to view recommended courses for next year by logging into Parent Portal.
- If you have concerns about your child’s recommended courses, please contact your child’s teacher.
- The process of actually selecting courses, both confirming core course recommendations and choosing electives, will be completed by students during the week of March 27th.
- Students will complete this process with the aid of the Guidance Department in their Social Studies classes during the week.
- Students will have access to make and/or adjust course requests on their own time as well.
- The course selection system will close to students after March 31st.
- After March 31st, Administration and Counselors will review individual student selections to ensure students are enrolled in the correct number of credits and appropriate courses.
- All students will be required to request between 7 and 9 credits of courses. This is both primary and alternative elective options.